Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sleeper Watch - QBs, RBs, WRs, & TEs - Week 4

MattyNMattyN Posts: 996Member, Expert Writers ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Expert Sleepers

Sleeper Watch - QBs, RBs, WRs, & TEs for Week 4

By Matty N

Welcome to the FF Cafe's Sleeper Watch. Got a spot at the end of your bench? Here are some QB, RB, WR and TE sleepers to consider picking up for Week 4. All players below are unowned in a decent percentage of most fantasy leagues. (Yahoo! ownership percentages are listed next to each player).

Quarterbacks

Kirk Cousins, Washington Football Team (owned 48% Y!)

THE GOOD: 30 of 48 for 427 YDS 3TD 1 INT in Week 3. Cousins came out firing, marching Washington up and down the field on drive after drive. Crisp passes. Shows good decision making. Can throw with power or touch. Cousins will be a sleeper no longer after the next waiver period. He will be owned in most leagues.

THE BAD: Seahawks in two weeks. Small possibility of QB controversy with RG3 late in season.

EDIT 9/25: After that Thursday Night performance Cousins, whose ownership had surged to 73%, is headed in the other direction. After stating he was a "just a backup" many times during pre-game, Captain Kirk came out and proved it. Clearly rattled after a big first quarter strip-sack from Giants DE Mathias Kiwanuka, he reverted to his old habits of staring down receivers, making ill advised throws and even throwing a few balls right to defenders just for kicks. Next Washington faces the Seahawks and Cardinals. Yikes!

Teddy Bridgewater, Vikings (owned 4% Y!)

THE GOOD: 12 of 20 for 150 YDS in Week 3. Thrown into tough road game. Bridgewater will play better for a Vikings team with a relatively easy schedule. Showed good field vision in college (Louisville). Likes to distribute the ball to a variety of weapons.

THE BAD: Wiry frame. Needs to bulk up. Small hands. Does not always throw the ball with good velocity. Could be sharper on his deep routes. Teddy is coming into a bad situation in Minnesota. Can he turn things around?

Blake Bortles, Jaguars (owned 5% Y!)

THE GOOD: 223 YDS, 2 TD, 2 INT in Week 3. Gus Bradley named Bortles the Jaguar's starter for the rest of the season in his post-game presser Sunday. Bortles will have permission to sling it.

THE BAD: Only slightly above-average arm strength. Lots of one-look reads in college (Central Florida). Throws off his back foot when pressured. Bortles performance was less than outstanding against elite D1 foes (Ohio State 2012, South Carolina in 2013). Only a two-year starter. Jags are a bad team.

QB WHO WILL GET A WRITE-UP IF CARSON PALMER GOES AWAY: Drew Stanton

QB CHUMPS OF THE WEEK: Ryan Fitzpatrick. EJ Manuel

Running Backs

Lorenzo Taliaferro, Ravens (owned 7% Y!)

THE GOOD: 18 carries for 91 YDS 1 TD Week 3. Looked good as Ravens primary back. Good size and production. Patient. Follows his blocks. Runs well in traffic. Can catches the ball outside his frame.

THE BAD: Lacks elite speed (4.58 40). Not a great route runner. Likes to move laterally at the snap instead of crashing downhill. Will likely be in a committee with Forsett and Pierce for most of the year.

Alfred Blue, Texas (owned 8% Y!)

THE GOOD: 13 carries for 78 YDS in Week 3. Caught a pass too. Good vision and patience. Good speed for size. Runs with burst through arm tackles. Downhill runner. Good stiff-arm. Flashed playmaking ability in college. Arian Foster is an injury waiting to happen.

THE BAD: Runs with high pad level. Poor route runner. Weak in pass protection. Didn't start in college (LSU). If Arian Foster is healthy he goes back to spot duty.

Jerick McKinnon, Vikings (owned 18% Y!)

THE GOOD: 2 carries for -1 YDS in Week 3. Lots of hype about this kid from Georgia Southern. Sopposedly an "athletic freak" who is looking to step up behind Matt Asiata.

THE BAD: Two carries for negative yardage? Probably not worth a roster spot but an interesting flier, if you have room on the pine. We'll see what he does in future weeks.

Still desperate for a RB? You can always pick through the leftovers from Sleeper Watch Week 3 or Week 2.

Good luck. RBs go fast.

IN PREVIOUS POSTS: Darren Sproles, Chris Ivory, Shonn Greene, Terrence West, Ahmad Bradshaw, Justin Forsett, Jacquizz Rodgers, Isaiah Crowell, Khiry Robinson, Knile Davis, Bobby Rainey, Matt Asiata, Jonathan Stewart.

Wide Receivers

Jordan Matthews, Eagles (owned 8% Y!)

THE GOOD: 8 catches for 59 YDS & 2 TD in Week 3. After a big preseason, many were waiting on Matthews to break out and those who were patient were rewarded. Big target. Solid route runner. Good speed (4.46 40). Explodes out of breaks. Tracks the ball well. Good hands. Solid deep threat. Can go up for football. Appears to have developed instant chemistry with Foles. College captain and four-year starter (Vanderbuilt).

THE BAD: A bit slow off the line. Limited ability to run after catch. Needs to add muscle.

John Brown, Cardinals (owned 1% Y!)

THE GOOD: 4 catches for 52 YDS & 2 TD in Week 3. Good burst off the line. Very fast (4.34 40). Can stretch the field and shows good tracking on deep balls. Smooth in and out of breaks. Good hands.

THE BAD: Lacks size for NFL receiver (5'10). Short arms and small hands. Limited functional strength. Not great at making moves after the catch. Poor blocker. When Fitz is healthy Brown becomes the third option for the Cardinals.

Stevie Johnson, Niners (owned 5% Y!)

THE GOOD: 9 catches for 103 YDS in Week 2. Put up back-to-back 1,000-yard receiving seasons in 2010 and 2011. Good route runner. Versatile. Can catch the ball in tight coverage.

THE BAD: Production has dropped off steadily since 2011. Lacks explosiveness. Crowded offense with Crabtree, Boldin and Davis.

Still desperate for a WR? You can always pick through the leftovers from Sleeper Watch Week 3 or Week 2.

There are still some good finds at WR.

IN PREVIOUS POSTS: DeAndre Hopkins, Steve Smith Sr, Justin Hunter, Kelvin Benjamin, Markus Wheaton, Andrew Hawkins, Allen Hurns, Malcom Floyd, Devin Hester, Robert Woods, Mohamed Sanu, James Jones, Jason Avant, Brian Quick, Miles Austin

Tight Ends

Owen Daniels, Ravens (27% Y!)

THE GOOD: 1 catch for 8 YDS in Week 3. Despite his meager showing against the Browns, Daniels will be one of the most targeted TEs on waivers because Dennis Pitta went down to a serious injury. As discussed before in Sleeper Watch, Daniels is familiar with Gary Kubiak's system and should be a decent fantasy play going forward,

THE BAD: More of a blocking TE at this point in his career. Lacks speed or ability to make tacklers miss.

Travis Kelce, Cheifs (27% Y!)

THE GOOD: 4 catch for 36 YDS and 1 TD in Week 3. Kelce played on 65.2% of the Cheifs snaps last week. Andy Reid seems determined to work him into the offense. Athletic and can stretch the field vertically. Solid run blocker. Wide catch radius. Can adjust to bad throws.

THE BAD: Lacks speed and and cannot create separation. Great blocker and will be used, as such, to help out a weak Chiefs O Line.

Still desperate for a TE? You can always pick through the leftovers from Sleeper Watch Week 3.

Lots of TE injuries. The pickings are getting thin.

IN PREVIOUS POSTS: Larry Donnell, Niles Paul, Delanie Walker

Comments

• BlueBlue Posts: 1,089Member ✭✭
  • MattyNMattyN Posts: 996Member, Expert Writers ✭✭

@Blue said:
    Thanks Matty!

Thanks for reading!

• JohnnyFootballJohnnyFootball Posts: 11Member

@MattyN‌ should I drop Charles Clay and pick up Dwayne Allen this week? my starting TE Jordan Cameron is on a bye.

edited September 2014

@JohnnyFootball said:
    MattyN‌ should I drop Charles Clay and pick up Dwayne Allen this week? my starting TE Jordan Cameron is on a bye.

I think Clay and Allen are members of the rather large "roulette club" of TEs. Some of them will hit. Very hard to say who and when. Other members off the top of my head... Kelce, H Miller, O Daniels, Green, Fleener, Cook. Listed in no particular order. I have no feel for what these guys will do week-to-week.

• SilverZSilverZ Posts: 125Member

What kind of upside does Matthews have if everything breaks right? Any chance he turns into a stable ~12 point per game guy in PPR leagues?

@SilverZ said:
    What kind of upside does Matthews have if everything breaks right? Any chance he turns into a stable ~12 point per game guy in PPR leagues?

Yes. I think he could be a legit WR3. Riley Cooper hasn't shown me much. Look for Matthews to start getting more targets per game. 2 TD games will prob not be commonplace.

• The_DarkhawkThe_Darkhawk Posts: 264Member, Community Writers
    edited September 2014

I'm in a 16 team league, and pickings are slim for TE, looking at Bostick, Rhett Ellison, or Tim Wright. I own Kyle Rudolph....

I do have a trade offer out for Kelce and Ertz, offering Kelvin Benjamin in return. Hoping to bank on a solid week 3 performance.

• FantasySensaiFantasySensai Posts: 238Member

@devil_doc said:
    I'm in a 16 team league, and pickings are slim for TE, looking at Bostick, Rhett Ellison, or Tim Wright. I own Kyle Rudolph....

I do have a trade offer out for Kelce and Ertz, offering Kelvin Benjamin in return. Hoping to bank on a solid week 3 performance.

That's tough @devil_doc hopefully those trades go through for Ertz, but if not, I like Tim Wright as the pickup in that Aaron Hernandez-like role. That is if you trust that Brady can hold it together the rest of the season.

Wow in 16 teamer the TEs options get sparse.