Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Who's Online1

1 Guest

Weekly Warriors - Streaming D/ST - Week 2

Blake_FincherBlake_Fincher Posts: 660Member, Expert Writers ✭✭
edited September 2014 in Expert DST Rankings

Week 1 was a rough week for my rankings. Baltimore looked good at times, but gave up a few long plays resulting in their demise. The New York "Football" Giants,(If that's what you think they were playing) had great run defense. Their demise was lead by giving up big plays and the offenses inability to sustain long drives or flip field position. Who would have thought the Eagles defense would be my only saving grace? Well, they did play Jacksonville, who did their best Howard Dean act and freaked out when they figured out they were in the lead.

Enough about week 1, let me tell you who I like in week 2 and why.

1) Houston Texans

Week 2 @ Oakland Week 3 @ NYG Week 4 Buffalo

The Texans are going to be the top waiver wire claim this week after a great showing in the opener. They put together a great performance that included 2 FR and a Touchdown with only 6 points surrendered against a terribly confused Redskins team in a new offense. As far as week 2 is concerned, they matchup against an always confused Raiders organization with a rookie QB. I understand that Clowney is out, but the Texans have enough talent to go around.

If the week 2 matchup wasn't enough to make you use your waiver wire claim on them, look at weeks 3 & 4 when they matchup against the Giants and Bills. They are still available in 50% of Standard Scoring leagues. Jump on the bandwagon folks, J.J. Watt is driving it.

2) Miami Dolphins

Week 2 @ Buffalo Week 3 Kansas City Week 4 @‌ Oakland

It takes a lot to ruffle Tom Brady's feathers. The dolphins did just that in week 1 and looked really good doing it. The Dolphins gave up just 20 points to the Pats and recovered 2 fumbles to help seal their victory. Tom Brady is a bonafide Hall of Famer and they Dolphins came out week 1 and put the AFC East on notice. Week 2 they will face-off against a still young Bills offense who was able to at times exploit the Bears run defense(Worst run defense in 2013). The Dolphins run defense is much better and will force Manuel to make throws.

I love the week 2 matchup, but it only gets better. The Dolphins don't play a top 20 Quarterback in their next 3 games. I've previously mentioned the issues with a young Oakland offense. Alex Smith and the Chiefs look lost. The coaching staff has even claimed negligence in the play calling and lack of use of Jamaal Charles. I know it's early, but this team looks like a playoff team.

3) Detroit Lions

Week 2 @ Carolina Week 3 Green Bay Week 4 @‌ ‌ NYJ

I understand the Lions played against a terrible Giants offense. However, I love the matchup with Carolina for these reasons. Most people will rave about the high-powered Lions offense against the Carolina defense. I think the game will be won in reverse. Carolina will look to establish the run early to aid their passing game. The Lions have one of the best front four in football and will shut them down. If Cam is back I expect him to be under constant pressure from the Lions. The Carolina o-line is less than stellar, and they don't exactly have the strongest receiving corps to get open quickly. This may be a game that I throw Derek Anderson to the wolves as sacrifice if I'm the Panthers coaching staff. I think Cam gets hit early and often.

The week 3 matchup isn't exactly ideal, but it is a home game. Week 4 against the Jets looks much more promising, however if you are only carrying one DST on your roster this team might be a one week use.

Comments

• Blake_FincherBlake_Fincher Posts: 660Member, Expert Writers ✭✭

The article didn't number correctly and the edit won't change it. You get the gist though. Texans, Dolphins and Lions in that order.

• choman12choman12 Posts: 32Member

I think I'd rather go with the Bills D this week. The Dolphins seem to give NE a tough time in their last couple of meetings.

edited September 2014

This article highlights teams that are more readily available in most cases. I like the Bills defense, but the are owned in over 30% of leagues vs. the Dolphins at just 6.6%.

The Texans are the one exception, they have skyrocketed up the ownership percentage, but them , along with who their matchup with had to be posted.

• choman12choman12 Posts: 32Member

ahh that is my fault. Guess I was looking at my ww and knew who I was going to pick up this week.

• Pgunz3Pgunz3 Posts: 14Member

Anybody think the Titans D will be good against Dallas ?

• BleedGr33nBleedGr33n Posts: 252Member

redskins vs Jax looks aight

I don't completely disagree. I have no faith in either team on either side of the ball at thus point. Every team listed above has showed flashes of positivity.

• robotninjarobotninja Posts: 155Member

Fortunately was able to snag the Texans, should be good for the next few weeks, and maybe longer. Nice write up though, will continue to monitor the thread and will pitch in if I can.

• SilverZSilverZ Posts: 125Member

Someone dropped the Bills DST to pick up HOU in my league. Should I use my waiver to drop the Lions and pick up the Bills?

I like the Lions this week. I think the will get after the QB against a weak line in Carolina. They held Rashad Jennings to 2.9 ypc in week 1 as well in the run game. You could argue that the Giants have better weapons, even if the offense is a bit disjointed.

edited September 2014

I snagged Miami in my big money league and rolling with houston in my other

I'm also rolling Miami in my big money league. I will practice what I preach every week.

• jdoggjdogg Posts: 4Member

Great minds do think alike im rolling with the Texans for the near future.

• stanfootballstanfootball Posts: 335Member
    edited September 2014

I began preseason with Baltimore and Tenn. I dropped tenn. to pick up philly following Texas's advice. The results were I got fourteen points out of philly and would have gotten zero points out of Baltimore. Tenn looks good and I feel good about them which doesn't mean much. They scored 19 points first week. I dropped Baltimore and picked back up tenn. I also dropped Philly who saved me and picked up Miami for this week and next few hopefully .I'm scared about losing Baltimore. Texas likes Baltimore a little. Philly defense won my big money league. I could have won with Tenn. though. I would have lost using Baltimore. Texas , what about Tenn and Minnesota? Minnesota got thirty points. I picked them up in my small money league just in case they are for real. I'm on board the Texas two step train. Thanks for advice!

• lax20jlax20j Posts: 5Member

I have the pats d, should i drop them for Dophins d?

Need to think it through that's for sure. I've heard very good preseason info abut Patriots defense. I wanted them a lot during the draft. I deserted defense during the draft to stock up at wr. and rb. I'm enjoying streaming though. Who else is available on your ww Lax?

I think the Pats defense should be good overall this year. I just play matchups on a weekly basis. It's hard for me to say, yes drop the Pats. Unless you plan on streaming every week I wouldn't. I only highlight defenses that are less available than most in leagues. I would have the Buccaneers really high this week if they were more readily available. Instead of being excited about Minnesota's defense, you should be more excited at picking up the team playing the Rams this week. The Rams offense was a dumpster fire. If Tampa Bay is available in your league, grab them.

• lax20jlax20j Posts: 5Member

Thanks for the advice and i agree with that i dont wnat to be playing the WW every week for a Defense and that would be why i would not get rid of the pats. Not much on my WW except for the dolphins. Thanks again

I'm hearing on cbs that Miami has three hurt linebackers does that affect my play . I could pick up buffalo, Detroit, philly. Tampa bay gone and Texas. Cleveland is available. Not liking Miami after hearing this.

I like Detroit this week against a weak Carolina o-line and offense.

• MochaMocha Posts: 150Administrator admin

Hey @Texas_Two_Step‌ - Thanks for the research! Quick question - I picked up Miami from the waivers… loved how they played Week 1 vs NE. One of the guys in our league dropped New England. They are ranked in a lot of places near the top for D/ST. Should I drop Miami and pick up NE? Which option do you think is better for Week 2 and possibly rest of season / weeks to follow?

edited September 2014

At this point I think New England might still be the better long term option, but I like the Dolphins matchup this week. If you plan on sticking it out with New England, I would go ahead and grab them. They do get to play against E.J. Manuel and Geno Smith twice a season which is always good.

That very same reason is why I like Miami this week. Minnesota looked fast in the dome against what some would say is a pretty good St. Louis defense. I'm not sure quite how to gauge the Vikings offense after one week against a Rams team that kept giving the ball back to them, but I liked what I saw out of Miami against a future HOF QB in Brady.

I'm rolling Miami this week, but again, I never keep defenses very long. It's like college girlfriends, who's next?

@Mocha

• jahracer7jahracer7 Posts: 2Member

Would u guys go with the bills def or the rams def for the rest of the year. If u could only carry one or the other )? Thanks

I personally don't pick defense on a yearly basis. I'm down on the Rams right now simply because their offense can't move the ball. The defense basically never gets off the field.

• jahracer7jahracer7 Posts: 2Member

OK thanks our gm changed waiver wire rules where u can only have 15 transactions a year from the waiver wire. So it's hard to play def from week to week

I understand. That sucks though. I would go Bills then. I don't see that dumpster fire of an offense being much better in St. Louis.

• SaltyNutzSaltyNutz Posts: 18Member

It would be nice to see a longer listing of defenses instead of the top three recommendations. Usually, those three are taken and my choices are limited. Maybe the top 15 defenses ranked in order. In one league I was able to get Detroit, but in my other, I had to settle with Tampa Bay.

I don't think it's settling with Tampa. They will have a good week. All of the teams I highlights are typically available in 80% of leagues. The Texans were the only exception.

I'm starting to like the looks of Tampa this week as well. they might be in for a nice game vs the lowly rams. regarding the comment up a ways about the dolphins LB injuries, I believe those all occurred prior to the pats game yet they still fleeced them. can anyone verify this?